This original recipe was concocted in 2008 by The Meadow’s owner Mark Bitterman, Selmelier and master infusion-mixer. Lords of Salt Chocolate Fleur de Sel is an infused fleur de sel that’s been blended with chocolate. The small, irregular crystals dissolve in waves across the palate, lending a delicate chocolate chip-like crunch to any dish. Sprinkle it on sweets, like strawberries and cream, hazelnut scones, cupcakes, fruit parfaits or homemade granola. Or anywhere you might make a mole, such as tender beef or chicken.
• 4 eggs
• 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons each baking powder and baking soda
• 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
• 3 cups grated carrot
• 1 cup each chopped walnuts and chocolate chips
• 2 two-finger pinches Lords of Salt Chocolate Fleur de Sel
• Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch cake pan.
• Crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and sugar and beat together until nice and creamy.
• In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, spices, and salt.
• Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, combining gently with a wooden spoon or spatula.
• Once incorporated, fold in the carrots, nuts and chocolate chips.
• Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
• Let cool for 20 minutes and then top with your favorite frosting (we like cream cheese!)
• Sprinkle with Lords of Salt Chocolate Fleur de Sel and enjoy!